Monday, August 16, 2010

Refreshment for the Weary Ones

"Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down,

and I will refresh you.  Take my yoke upon you

and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly 

in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls.
  
For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.” 

- Matthew 11:28-30


In this modern fast-paced world, where most people must work harder in order to survive, it is not easy to live a stress-free life. More often than not, we find ourselves drained of energy after performing our responsibilities. Our body wears down and our mind becomes too weary to think clearly. Because of physical exhaustion, we cannot do other things that we want to do. We feel frustrated. 



However, the Great Teacher extends to us the invitation above. He bids us to go to him so that we will be refreshed. We need to abide with him under his yoke, which is kindly and light. This means that we must keep following him and observing his Father's commandments which are not burdensome at all to follow. Far from adding more weight to our already existing loads, they give us more benefits in that they help lighten our burdens and refresh our spirits. 

We can only perfectly understand the significance of this invitation and truly experience remarkable refreshment if we hold dear what Jesus says and keep on doing it all our lives.